Four storey open-plan living
EP Architects Ltd, were appointed to design a new 4 bedroom detached house to replace the clients existing 1950’s house which was suffering from subsidence. The brief was to design a house which could provide a comfortable living environment capable of providing mobility access to all parts of the house. This involved detailed discussions with the client to fully establish their needs for the future.
The site was situated in a conservation area, opposite the 13th Century Holy Cross Church, which provided additional design challenges for this triangular site. The sensitive use of materials and attention to detailing has produced a modern building in an historic setting. The basement was created from the need for deep foundations, due to the ground conditions. This added another dimension to the house and created additional space on what was a very tight site.
The clients were very involved throughout the process with well-defined ideas on how they wanted the house to look and perform on completion.